[nSLUG] Devuan anyone? [Was:Re: More `systemd` ... `homed`?]

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Sat May 2 13:15:59 ADT 2020

Hi Everybody

Thanks, Joel, for starting off this thread. And Rory, I like your
comparison to systemd as a cancer.

I know very little about systemd. But, there were a couple of very
simple admin tasks that each would have required about 5 minutes for me
to perform with SysV that I couldn't do with systemd, without days of
heavy documentation reading.

Systemd seems to be useful in large system environments, but for the
home user without experience in such environments, I find it's the pits.
There is far too steep a learning curve required for home users to
achieve whatever benefits it might have for them. And homed sounds like
adding insult to injury.

At present I am using a "hybrid" Debian/Devuan system. I discovered how
to install Debian/Buster without systemd but couldn't find a desktop
environment solely within Debian that suited me. So I added Devuan to
the start of my sources.list file and installed Xfce, plus some other
programs whose Debian version depended on systemd. This system works
just fine at present, but I have no idea how I could do a dist upgrade
with it. I expect when that time comes that I will switch completely to
Devuan.

Has anybody on the list any experience with Devuan? I would be
interested in other users pros and cons.

Regards

Jack