[nSLUG] An anniversary

Daniel MacKay daniel at bonmot.ca
Sun Jun 28 08:39:10 ADT 2020

Mike:

> Did Dal already have a Bitnet connection then?

Yes, and yes. Bitnet was an always-up connection that while originally designed for Remote Job Entry could also be used to transmit mail and news (and files kind of like FTP.)  Universities in Canada participated were connected via a bitnet-style network called Net North.

Running NetNorth required frequent communication with all of your peers (by phone, when the email didn’t work) so we were in a good position to build the national TCP/IP network, CA*Net (put a maple leaf where the ass-terisk is there for the official logo.)

> Less than a year later, on 3 June 1991, you wrote:

Indeed!  Official opening day for Parkview was May 15.

I’ve put together a few local internet history resources here including a Facebook photo album of that day.  If you’re not on FB but would really like to see the pics, let me know and I’ll put ‘em in a non FB album.

	https://bonmot.ca/~daniel/#internet_history <https://bonmot.ca/~daniel/#internet_history>

> That was when I was still using datapac

Ah datapac!!! I have a beautiful beautiful old Northern Telecom DisplayPhone in my storage closet

	http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/disphone/h/stdpair.jpg <http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/disphone/h/stdpair.jpg>

… it was designed to work with Datapac - with literally one touch of a key it would dial, log in, turn on the printer issue the command to display your email, and log out after.

Such a beautiful design. Notice the keyboard disappears underneath.  The 80x24 screen doubles as a huge phone dialling directory.

>  7 Dec 93 that NSTN had a public "point of
> presence" up and running in the Bridgewater local dial area.

Yes - I wired that too of course. It wasn’t in the library; it was in the South Shore Regional Library headquarters in Wileville which I think was a repurposed gas station.

—
Daniel MacKay (any pronouns)
Bonmot Publishing
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada