[nSLUG] Editable PDFs: what Linux software?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 08:29:25 ADT 2020

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 09:36, Herb <herb at theria.ca> wrote:

> It's a problem for sure. There is an Adobe Android app that I use on my
> little Nexus 7 tablet called Adobe Fill & Sign, for when this kind of thing
> pops up.
>
> https://acrobat.adobe.com/ca/en/mobile/fill-sign-pdfs.html

This says "snap a picture of the form", so it appears to be one of the many
apps that allow you to overlay content on a form.   These may be fine if
the
form is just used to archive your signature (instructions say to print,
fill in,
sign, and scan), but I don't see how it can work for forms that use scripts
validate input, etc. and are used to automatically populate a database.

The PD Studio site has some discussion of the various types of forms and
use of Javascript:

https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/difference-between-standard-pdf-forms-acroforms-and-livecycle-dynamic-forms/
with a link to https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/livecycle-dynamic-xfa-forms/

PDF Studio offers the following support for interactive forms:

   - *Supported: Acroforms  **(this format is supported by most PDF
   vendors)*
   - *Supported: Acroforms with static XFA **(this format is supported by a
   lot of PDF vendors)*
   - *Unsupported: Dynamic XFA forms **(this format is supported by a very
   limited number of vendors and this format is being discontinued and has
   been removed from the PDF 2.0 specifications).*

--
George N. White III