[nSLUG] An anniversary

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Jun 28 01:23:59 ADT 2020

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020, Daniel MacKay <daniel at bonmot.ca> wrote:

> thirty years ago yesterday, I brought up a permanent 19.2k tcp/ip
> line between Halifax and Montreal, and put Nova Scotia on the
> Internet.

()()()()()!

Did Dal already have a Bitnet connection then?

Less than a year later, on 3 June 1991, you wrote:

> Well, a lot has happened in a shockingly short time.  In a month and a
> half, we have designed a lab network for the school [Parkview High,
> Bridgwater] , designed the Internet connection, spec'd the whole
> thing, ordered all the hardware, installed a LAN at Parkview,
> installed network hardware, ran an Internet connection in, set up
> Novell, configured applications, and begun training -- and since we
> wanted to get the project up ASAP, we've run through several
> connection styles and several applications in the last couple of
> weeks.  It should be nailed down for a while now.

That was when I was still using datapac or dialup to read email at
sba.dal.ca and athena.mit.edu.  In the same Old Mail archive I have a
note from Lana Wood on 7 Dec 93 that NSTN had a public "point of
presence" up and running in the Bridgewater local dial area.

I don't seem to have any email archived from before 1991 but I do have
one with a bang path return address. :-)

                                                           /V\