[nSLUG] Editable PDFs: what Linux software?

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 09:05:38 ADT 2020

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:03 AM Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Windoes users can fetch forms (such as gov't tax forms) in PDF format,
> edit them to the extent of filling in the requested data and save or
> email them.

I just went down this rabbit hole in Feb with a form I needed to fill out
to contract with DFO.  I couldn't open on my usual goto PDF software (KDE's
okular, which is quite full featured otherwise).  I _believe_ I also tried
libreoffice to no avail.  This form had some sort of "security/protected"
feature set, so that you can't even open it read-only to print unless using
the official Adobe software.  Yours may or may not be set up like this.

I waited until I had access to a win machine, and even then got
railroaded.  IIRC, after you've edited the document, Adobe software wants
to automatically take over and handle emailing it (like it wouldn't just
save it).  Since this wasn't my machine, I wasn't about to set up my email
on it.  Also, with their history of security vulnerabilities I didn't feel
comfortable trusting my SIN and other personal financial info to a black
box.

In the end, I just used the windows machine to print it, and filled it in
by hand.  I'm sure it angered the people on the other end, but they
accepted it.

Isn't technology great?  I'd also be interested to hear if any other
opensource package can work around this "feature".