[nSLUG] HCC February 26th, 2020 monthly meeting re. HCC suggested future plans

Ben Armstrong synergism at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 14:45:41 AST 2020

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 10:53 AM Oliver Doepner <oliver.doepner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For myself, I noticed that I don't enjoy talking about computer stuff so
> much anymore and feel less inclined to attend computer club meetings.

This pretty much sums it up for me. There once was a time I could get
excited about talking about computer things. While I still appreciate daily
what I can accomplish because of computers, if they're not actively getting
in the way of me doing what I want (usually relating to writing code), I
mostly don't devote much time to exploring them or talking about them.

If anyone is at all interested in what *does* excite me relating to
computers these days, it's this:

https://syn.theti.ca/2020/02/16/introducing-dronefly-a-discord-bot-for-naturalists/

As I mention in the article, Discord would not have been my first choice,
but that's where people are, and I wouldn't have written the code (which
itself is open source) without the people. It remains a fond hope that
someday we could find a suitable replacement and move to that, but for the
time being this is working for us.

When I'm not tinkering with the bot and I do venture outside, I'm out
looking for observations to upload to iNaturalist. This leaves me with zero
time left over to fit in another hobby interest (LUG meetings). I do miss
you fine folks, though. Maybe during fairer weather I'll be able to drop in
some time & catch up.

Ben