[nSLUG] System will not upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 09:40:36 AST 2019

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 at 23:17, Joel Maxwell <jaymax at runbox.com> wrote:

> Once you get past the hurdle to 18.x, I recently experienced having to
> follow along with the guide in the following link to prep for 19.x.
>
> https://itsfoss.com/upgrade-linux-mint-version/
>
> What I noticed is that the (major release) upgrade expects you to have
> `timeshift` installed (may not need a snapshot created however), and
> that your login manager is `LightDM` and not `mdm` (which I guess is
> phased out).

The first step is to upgrade your old installation to ensure it has the
latest
updates.  Software from the Ubuntu PPA's should be uninstalled so you
have something as close as possible to a standard configuration.  The
aptitude package manager has a section for packages (e.g., rstudio) that
didn't come from the official repositories.

I just upgraded from 18.x on a 10 year old system with a 1G partition that
was 2/3 full.

Switching to LightDM went smoothly, but the initial timeshift backup took
a lot of space (a couple remote sensing apps pull in large on-demand data,
a couple VM's and 10 years of accumulated cruft in /var), which resulted
in the upgrade failing when it ran out of space.   I cleaned out old cruft,
uninstalled timeshift, removed the "/timeshift" directory tree, and
reinstalled
timeshift.  After that the upgrade went through smoothly.

At that point, install the `mintupgrade` package, hop to shell to make
> sure you are all set (run that command with the "check" parameter), and
> then use it to subsequently "download" and "upgrade".
>
> Not particularly sure why that has to step outside the comfort zone for
> most, but I presume the Mint maintainers wanted to make sure if the
> user wasn't comfortable with an upgrade (has much more risk than point
> releases and updates), that someone will be there in case it goes
> south.

The maintainers can't control what 3rd party apps a user has
installed, so a cautious approach is required.   I would have
appreciated better documentation for timeshift.  It seems to
install a cron job that runs frequently to check if it is time for
a scheduled backup to run.

> --
> Regards,
> Joel Maxuel
>
> On Sat, 2019-12-28 at 22:25 -0400, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 09:12:17PM -0400, HOG mail wrote:
> >
> > > Pardon the intrusion and the probable reaction to such an inane
> > > question.  However, I am very much a newbie at Linux - still
> > > learning.  i recently rebooted my Linux machine after a 2 year
> > > hiatus.  My system is Linux Mint 17.3.  I tried to upgrade to 19.3
> > > “Tricia” however, it does not upgrade and the wallpaper still shows
> > > 17.3 and a check of the about box shows 17.3 Cinnamon.  Any advise
> > > is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Most distributions try to make "upgrade" work from one number to the
> > next.  Such as "17.3 to 18.<something>".
> >
> > When that has been done, try an upgrade from the new 18 to 19.
> >

> > > When I tried to do what it suggested on the Firefox web browser,
> > > the
> > > upgrade manager comes back as “System is up to date”.
> >
> > I suggest you forget that until you have upgraded the operating
> > system
> > (Linux)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Douglas.