[nSLUG] Cellular dongles

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 23 17:04:17 ADT 2019

To add to the confusion, some of us have limited budgets for our
hobbies, and either can't afford (or can't justify)  spending a great
deal to buy new tools (or toys), or limited time, ability, or resources
to learn how to use the devices we have.  I have a old Canon Canon
PowerShot A480 camera, which takes reasonable pictures 'as is', and a
number of features I have never gotten around to learning how to use -it
has a cable which can be attached to my laptop, to download pictures, or
I can simply pull the chip and plug that into the side of my laptop, and
treat it as a USB device; I have a Hipstreet (Google?) Phoenix tablet
which has an Android Jellybean o/s (although I gather there are a number
of releases of Jellybean, not all being equal) which takes adequate
pictures as well, and can be cable connected to my laptop -or I can
transfer files and pictures via email to or from the tablet; the tablet
also has bluetooth (as does my newest laptop) and a free-standing,
bluetooth-connected keyboard, and the laptop has bluetooth as well.  I
don't know enough about bluetooth to know its capabilities and make
better use of its facilities.

I also have a LG F4NR 'Flip-Phone' cell-phone, which again has an
Android Jellybean o/s, but I have not been satisfied with the few
pictures I have taken with it; it too has bluetooth, and I use the phone
only to stay in touch with home; I have a payment plan where I must pay
a minimum amount each month, and if my useage is less than the
time-charges, the balance accumulates -I seldom exceed the minimum, but
I keep receiving text messages from Bell-Aliant at the same time every
month, within an hour of turning the phone on, wanting me to switch to a
more expensive plan -which would give me additional features I don't
want or can't use.  Several days ago I received seven such text messages
-and I don't use it for texting -the keys are too small for my old
fingers, so I haven't bothered to learn how to reply -even to say 'stop
texting me'!

I would find it interesting to have one or more pre-arranged sessions
where we could discuss and learn how to use cellular dongles -to find
out their abilities and limitations, their connection details ('normal'
USB, mini-, micro-, firewire-, or other USB, SIM -and what type and
size, etc.), where they can be obtained and their approximate cost.
Perhaps one or more people locally might be interested in participating
in such a session either at a regular Halifax Computer Club meeting (our
next meeting is tomorrow evening, by the way).

Frank Geitzler