[nSLUG] Facebook, Google - Why avoid and what else to use?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 10:11:19 ADT 2019

For people travelling across borders, legal protections against
unreasonable searches aren't active, so it is recommended that you reset
your phone to factory default, and keep any information you need "in the
cloud".  The Governemt of Canada

> doesn't want employees with phones taking them across boarders so provides
> phones for people travelling on official business.
>

>> Cannot think of much more on the subject except (further off-topic) for
>> the market pushing for user-replaceable batteries once more.  Apple has
>> proved in recent years the importance of a reasonably functional battery in
>> a phone, yet will not make it easy to replace (instead have costly - to
>> their bottom line - replacement programs when their old batteries meant
>> stability or performance issues).  Too many OEMs followed suit with Apple,
>> and there are only a small handful of devices in recent years that make it
>> easy: LG G5 (2016), Moto G5 (2017), Samsung J3 (2018) - for example.  If
>> the user base cared more about this (and be vocal about it) instead of
>> blindly accepting the opinions of reviewers who may only use a device for
>> two weeks, we may have a good start for actual longevity in the phone
>> market again.
>>

> Water intrusion is one of the most common causes of death for cell
> phones.   You can't have thin, waterproof, and
> user-replaceble battery together.    I liked the size and replaceble
> battery of the Samsung Galaxy S III, coupled with a
> waterproof "ziplock" pouch, but the "market" seems to demand big and
> thin.   I remember when the "market" demanded
> big tailfins on big cars until some manufacturers started selling smaller
> models without the fins.   I did read that Apple
> is considering an update to the SE phone, so maybe things are turning
> around.

On the contrary.  Samsung S4 (with replaceable battery) had better water
protection rating than the S6 (non-replaceable).
Generally this is true due to having to have accessible back panels, but
there are other points to be concerned about as well (and it is possible to
have a good seal around a back plate anyway).