[nSLUG] Facebook, Google - Why avoid and what else to use?

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 12:26:28 ADT 2019

Not much to add to the current discussion topic, some good points so far.

However, Mike re: what you wrote about necessity of a phone:

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 4:07 AM Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> involvements with corporations.  I think I may be obliged by age to
> get a cell phone just because I can no longer walk home anywhere I
> happen to find myself stranded and there are no pay phones.  When I do
> so, I'll go for a smart phone despite the degree to which they offend
> me because of the added capability of tethering.

Another line of thought here; you could keep your privacy by purchasing a
cheapo non-smart phone as well as a simple cellular usb stick modem.
Probably spend less dough (I think we got my parents a reasonable cell for
when they're at the cottage last year for about $80, and I found a cellular
stick on ebay for myself a couple years ago for less than $50).  With new
rules on having unlocked SIM/cellular devices in Canada, you could simply
pop the SIM out of the phone and use it in the modem as needed.

Just a thought, if you truly only need the phone for a phone.  It also
follows the 'one tool, one job' philosophy so that if you lose the phone or
modem, or one or the other fail, you only have to replace one less
expensive thing.  Also, the really cheap smart phones in my experience can
be enraging to use because there's 10 lbs of crud in a 2 lbs bag.

Dave