[nSLUG] Facebook, Google - Why avoid and what else to use?

Tony Rowe ay986 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Apr 19 20:14:10 ADT 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 08:32:48PM -0300, Oliver Doepner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Google for web search, gmail, maps, calendar, photos, contacts
> and news aggregation.

I use Google for gmail, maps, youtube; duckduckgo for searches.

[...]
> Some people on this group seem to have strong reasons to avoid or even
> denounce these companies and their services.
>
> Can you explain why and what the alternatives are, for the above uses?

I tend to agree with Stallman on these topics.  He did an interview
last week on RT where he talked exactly about these companies, the
whats and the why-nots, and some alternatives.

https://www.rt.com/shows/sophieco/456509-digital-privacy-internet-surveillance/

A podcast of the same interview is here

https://soundcloud.com/rttv/richard-stallman-facebook-is-surveillance-monster-feeding-on-our-personal-data-sophieco?in=rttv/sets/sophieco

Somewhat peripherally, it will be interesting to keep an eye on the
librem-5 cell phone project.  The cost needs to come down a little for
my budget.

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Tony