[nSLUG] Facebook, Google - Why avoid and what else to use?

Rory rory at unixism.org
Fri Apr 19 14:18:56 ADT 2019

Coincidentally, I just posted my two-week termination notice on FB this
morning :)

I'm not opposed to social media in principle, but the business pratices
of FB specifically need to be punished.  Same can be said at times for
Google; their open source contributions notwithstanding.

Now, as for replacements, this can be very tough. Such is the nature of
their near monopoly.  I'm giving MeWe a kick of the tires but as you
might expect very few of my FB friends are there. Facebook I won't miss
much at all in spite of it being the only easy place to find old high
school friends and even some family.  Google is more difficult to ditch
as I have used gmail for years to sign up for things and I'm compelled
with my employment to have either an android or apple phone.

Ultimately if all your 'friends' are on Facebook and you actually use
it to communicate with them then there is no single replacement.
That's fine with me, I'll make a few sacrifices in order to get away
from FB permanently. For others it's not so easy.