[nSLUG] Facebook, Google - Why avoid and what else to use?

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Fri Apr 19 13:44:41 ADT 2019

Hi Oliver

As I think I have said before on either nSLUG or HCC, I don't have *any*
social media presence - *that I know of* - the caveat being that  FB
seems able to get information about people through apps downloaded from
the Google Play store. I do this because (1) I value my privacy, (2) the
business plans of social media outfits depend on harvesting as much
personal information as possible from everybody they possibly can, which
is abhorrent to me, (3) I don't want to be bombarded with targeted adds
and (4) once you allow any personal information to get out there, it
absolutely impossible to ever get it completely erased.

I know of no alternatives to social media, although as a result of Mike
Spencer's post I wondered if it would be possible to set up Usenet news
groups for communicating with people you don't want to be exchanging
frequent emails with. I haven't used Usenet since I retired in 1996 but
would be prepared to do so if this were possible.

On my desktop computer I use duckduckgo.com for web searches to avoid
being tracked, and for my desktop email I use a direct POP3  connection
to my ISP. On my android smartphone I use K9mail for email (only when
traveling), and Google search, chrome, maps, and contacts, but not
calendar or photos. But, I *never* do *any* financial-type stuff (eg
online banking, ordering stuff from Amazon) on my smartphone.

No doubt I an still being tracked in some ways or others but short of
not using web browsers and search engines at all I see no way around this.

Everybody is entitled to her/his/their personal views on these issues,
so I have every expectation of there being a completely civilized and
non-inflammatory discussion about these issues.

Regards

Jack