[nSLUG] On Linux & digital rights & freedoms advocacy (avoiding us/them mentality)

Ben Armstrong synergism at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 07:49:10 ADT 2019

I didn't mean to come down heavily on Donald in particular, as that comment
was an innocent error & also a valid observation even if a little off in
the details - why would a Linux group (by association, more likely to be
defenders of digital rights and freedoms) use a platform that is "in bed"
with Facebook and Google? Good question!

But it does point to a thing that we, as a group operating within a
community with a broad range of opinions & feelings on these issues, should
probably avoid: adopting an "us/them" mentality about our assumptions &
values, consciously or unconsciously, is not pro-social behaviour. If we
want to advocate within the broader communities we are in for more careful
attention to and protection of digital rights and freedoms, it would be
helpful not betray such attitudes, even when "privately"* discussing it
amongst ourselves. I speak as one who struggles with this with regards to
all my own assumptions & values, too, across the spectrum of my life
experiences, and don't want to come off as "having arrived" or being a
perfect example to the group. The increasing polarization of views in the
world is being exacerbated by the toxic culture that Facebook and other
social media giants promote. Rather than entirely withdraw from that world,
I have opted to continue to work within it, but work harder at promoting a
different kind of culture in my interactions that does not "feed the
beast". Whether this is worth it or not remains to be seen, but I care too
much about some of the people with whom social media is my sole point of
contact to just drop off of it entirely.

Ben
* Note: we have a public web archive of our mailing list, so nothing said
here "in private" really is. The whole world is watching!