[nSLUG] Abstract for the presentation on Wed Sept 26th

Oliver Doepner oliver.doepner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 21:20:49 ADT 2018

Hi all,

The topic for tomorrow is

"*Agile Software Development using Debian laptop, Free/Open Source tools
and free cloud services (github/travis/bintray)*"

I am planning to show how I use those cloud services when I develop Open
Source software.

The sample project is a Java based game (
https://github.com/odoepner/bagh-chal). It does not really matter what it
does, as it will serve more as an example for

   - a codebase on github that I can commit/push changes to
   - that triggers an automated build and test process on travis-ci
   - that results in an updated executable on bintray

My preferred tool for making the code changes is Intellij Community
Edition, combined with OpenJDK Java 8 and the git command-line tools, on a
laptop running Debian stable.

The intent is to give a glimpse at the kind of FLOSS tool-chain available
today to Open Source software developers.

I am planning to demonstrate the full cycle of adding one feature to the
game software, from creating the github issue, to writing a unit test to
making the code changes, commit/push and then running the updated
executable jar, hopefully by someone in the audience.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night
Oliver