[nSLUG] [NSLUG] Re: USB stick for backup okay?

Rory rory at unixism.org
Thu Mar 29 21:46:24 ADT 2018

That's some powerful rsync-fu, I like it.

Just to throw in my $0.02 worth:

I've tried various schemes throughout my digital life. In the end, I've
been won over by the magic of hard links and online backups that can be
easily browsed in-place with nothing more than ls or a file manager.

I really like Apple's TimeMachine (not something I'd say about many
Apple products), it 'just works' and is easy enough for all family
members to use. Sadly, I can't quite get to a fully FOSS household (yet)
so TimeMachine wins for the Mac. For all the other bits (primarily Linux
+ a smattering of NetBSD and OpenBSD) I use BackInTime. It offers pretty
much the same results as TimeMachine and 'just works'.

With both Linux and Mac I have backups that I can browse easily. I can
pick any date and go to a complete filesystem exactly as it was that day
using any file utility I choose. This is very confidence inspiring
compared with large tarballs or non-portable formats.

For storage I have a NAS (FWIW: a Thecus N5500, tossed the original
firmware, installed Debian) with 5 drives in RAID6 + LVM. This is the
primary backup box, media server, print server and dumping ground for
shared files. I have two other portable drives that I rotate
periodically. I use them to backup the most critical bits off the NAS,
there's always one at home and another at the office. So far I've never
needed to recover from the portable drives in spite of burning through a
couple of disks in the NAS (RAID is beautiful when it works).

This is a lot of mechanical disks to feed and care for but the $$ per GB
works for me. I outgrew optical media long ago; having backups spread
across multiple removable disks just got annoying and the DVD stacks
started to really add up.