[nSLUG] [NSLUG] Re: USB stick for backup okay?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:41:34 ADT 2018

> Long ago, I cluelessly tried to do a backup on a FAT stick.  Someone
> here offered a friendly clue reminding me that it was normal for Foo,
> foo and FOO to be the same file under FAT.  I created an ext2 fs on
> the stick.  (Ext2 because I'm running an old kernel that doesn't grok
> ext4.  When main box finally gets an upgrade, so will the backup
> stick.)  Now, initial backup with cp, then a script to do rsync.
>
> So, maybe I should periodically alter the backup script to add the
> --checksum switch to rsync?  AIUI, that would force rsync to verify
> matching MD4 checksums for a file on my HD and the backup copy
> I made (say) last year.  That would force full read of all 2.9G in
> /mnt/usb/backup, catch and update any defective files, but reading
> wouldn't "refresh" the files found to be okay at the moment, would it?
>
> Thanks, all.  Further comment/pointers welcome.

You could make a manifest of files that have changed since a period of time
using find with mtime.  Then feed that list of files to tar with -T
pointing to to a file having a
manifest of filenames with paths.  Store the tar file on USB or whatever.
This
strategy avoids the USB FAT file name limitations.

In the past I've used faubackup but for awhile it wasn't maintained much.
Not sure now the
status on that tool.  There are probably similar scripted tools developed.

Another project that would be fun to try is making a software RAID out of
a set of USB sticks.  That would be JBOS.

For my backups of stuff that will never change like family photos, I used
Blu-ray and MDISC.  I have it on a network storage device as well, but in
case that
became dead/ransomwared, etc., there is no way the problem could spread to
a Bluray disc.  MDISC are supposed to last far longer than conventional
optical media which can deteriorate at roughly 20 years or more.  When
Bluray
goes away as a common media format, I'll need to see what's next.

Single drive NAS solutions are not too pricey and are OK for a second copy
of something you already have.  They can be mounted with CIFS from Linux.