[nSLUG] [NSLUG] USB tick for backup okay?

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:54:52 ADT 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:16 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> I've been using a USB stick for regular backups of ~/.
>
> Is this a good idea? Are there potential durability problems, re-write
> limits  or something else I haven't thought of that make this a bad
> or deprecated practice?

Depending on the value of your data (think irreplaceable photos), you could
even flip-flop between two sticks and keep one at a friends house/in your
car/on your person.  That way if the worst happened (theft, fire) you might
still have a copy.  It also has the benefit that if one failed for any
reason, you still have the other.  Sort of a handraulic, sneakernet RAID.

Another thing to ponder, if you are using the stick with FAT filesys, you
would definitely want to only backup using a tar format (versus cp or
rsync).  FAT has lower resolution time-stamps, and cannot backup all the
Unix permissions/ownership properly.

my 0.02