[nSLUG] Halifax ISPs

Paul Russell prussellster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:59:33 ADT 2018

There is often a huge difference difference between sales / pre-sales and
support. I'd expected a near immediate response from sales.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Robin Murray <nibor.yarrum at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I sent netfox a service inquiry and got a detailed reply back in about
> 10 minutes. Not bad...
>

> --
> Robin Murray
> Halifax,
> Nova Scotia
> Canada
>
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 at 08:32, Ed Fletcher <ed at fletcher.ca> wrote:

> > > For light use 4g/LTE may be a good/cheap option.
> > >
> > > You can plug an 4g/LTE dongle into most any openwrt capable home
> router,
> > > or buy a mifi device (which is handy to have anyway).
> > >
> > > I have used 4g as my primary internet connection for several months
> > > using this;
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5770s-320-Hotspot-
> globally-battery/dp/B014RA2QE6/
> > >

> > > that one has a nice hardware ethernet port as well as wifi so it's easy
> > > to hook up to your lan. It provides dhcp and a 192.168.1.0/24 NAT
> network.
> > >
> > > It wasn't as good as fiber obviously, but it's instant setup and can be
> > > cheap as long as you can find a plan that fits your usage and cost
> > > requirements.
> > >
> > > Another nice mifi device worth mentioning is
> > > https://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/ -- this thing runs openwrt out of the
> box,
> > > and has a built in battery and mobile module. It's a great little
> > > gadget, unfortunately I already broke mine by inserting the simcard
> > > backwards.. it's sim holder is a bit fragile, so be careful.
> > >
> > > Or just any openwrt with a usb stick is fine too.
> > >
> > > It seems like there may be some reasonable deals using foreign networks
> > > roaming in canada
> > >
> > > http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada#Foreign_
> SIM_cards_roaming_in_Canada
> > >

> > > https://www.amazon.ca/Telcel-Mexico-Prepaid-Card-Devices/
> dp/B00MYN5OKW/
> > >
> > > The US ones seem to provide a good amount of data (including several
> > > 'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
> > > still available.
> > >
> > > If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
> > > can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
> > > the 4g stick.
> > >
> > > There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.
> > >
> > > Robert
> >
> > I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
> > dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
> > experience with this company?
> >
> > http://www.netfox.ca
> >
> > Ed
> > --
> > Ed Fletcher
> >
> > "Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
> > sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
> > - Christopher Morley

Paul Russell
Sackville Volunteer Of The Year, 2017
Parade Marshall, 2018 Sackville Celebrate Canada Parade
President, Sackville Cobequid PC Association
(902) 830-5043