[nSLUG] Halifax ISPs

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Fri Jun 8 13:30:03 ADT 2018

On 2018-06-05 17:41, Robin Murray wrote:
> I am looking for a very basic internet connection in Halifax. I've
> googled a few lists but they are very useless and often turn out they
> don't provide the service after they click-baited me onto their sites.
>
> I was told by one that my area has "fibre only" so they couldn't
> service me. I'm wondering if by "fibre only" it means that I'm tied to
> Bell or Eastlink and paying $100/mo for a connection that I don't
> need. I'm looking for a car, not a space shuttle.
>
> Can anyone recommend a cheap service that provides, say, 2M download
> speeds?

For light use 4g/LTE may be a good/cheap option.

You can plug an 4g/LTE dongle into most any openwrt capable home router,
or buy a mifi device (which is handy to have anyway).

I have used 4g as my primary internet connection for several months
using this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5770s-320-Hotspot-globally-battery/dp/B014RA2QE6/

that one has a nice hardware ethernet port as well as wifi so it's easy
to hook up to your lan. It provides dhcp and a 192.168.1.0/24 NAT
network.

It wasn't as good as fiber obviously, but it's instant setup and can be
cheap as long as you can find a plan that fits your usage and cost
requirements.

Another nice mifi device worth mentioning is
https://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/ -- this thing runs openwrt out of the box,
and has a built in battery and mobile module. It's a great little
gadget, unfortunately I already broke mine by inserting the simcard
backwards.. it's sim holder is a bit fragile, so be careful.

Or just any openwrt with a usb stick is fine too.

It seems like there may be some reasonable deals using foreign networks
roaming in canada

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada#Foreign_SIM_cards_roaming_in_Canada

https://www.amazon.ca/Telcel-Mexico-Prepaid-Card-Devices/dp/B00MYN5OKW/

The US ones seem to provide a good amount of data (including several
'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
still available.

If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
the 4g stick.

There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.

Robert