[nSLUG] USB stick for backup okay?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Apr 3 15:39:49 ADT 2018

Good discussion.  Thank you all.

Executive summary: My USB stick backup is okay as far as it goes.  But
I need to have a more organized plan for verification and for insurance
against the unexpected.

So I'll be reviewing your responses -- too many to ack here in detail
-- and may have questions later.

Digression: Still turning up problems with the IBM P4 box that's my
main computer. Shipped with IDE drive but has 2 plugs on mobo for SATA
drives.  After the IDE HD failure in 2016, replacement drive was SATA.
Appeared to work fine.  But then found that large writes to HD (say,
copy 1G from USB to HD) bogged the CPU down.  Also, playing a DVD
video with mplayer causes the clock to fall behind ca. 6 sec. per
minute of video.

Now I find that growisofs starts, then gives the system a nervous
breakdown -- repeated DVD drive noises, CPU sluggish, repeated I/O
errors.  Required a shutdown to recover control.  I'm guessing it's a
hardware bug related to the other weirdness mentioned above.

Doing a cp of ~/ over LAN to a newish laptop (tedious) and growisofs on
the laptop worked as expected.  I really must grovel through the
bother of replacing the SATA drive with a good, little-used IDE drive
I now have.

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\