[nSLUG] US Homeland Security

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Sat Aug 21 00:41:48 ADT 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:19:35PM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> Whatever technology existed to prevent August 2003's cascading
> blackout failed, and failed, and failed, multiple times.
> McGuinty's concept of hooking up more to a failed system,
> which he stated in August 2003, is dumb.

 More interconnection might make the system more vulnerable to all going
down at once.  It has advantages for normal operation, though.  Peak demand
is at different times in different places.  North America covers a lot of
time zones, so spreading out the load means you can get away with fewer coal
plants all over the place.

 I read a newspaper article about this in the globe and mail a few weeks
ago that went into more detail.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)

!DSPAM:4126c48235459354217827!