[nSLUG] Introduction, Meeting? and Keane

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Aug 27 17:32:26 ADT 2004

On Fri, 2004-27-08 at 09:04 -0300, Wayne wrote:
> failing to run X properly with a garden variety Intel video card), the concept of an OS with
> everything installed and tested for the corporate environment (and then, why not home?) has to
> enjoy some kind of success in the future.

Ah Sun. In this months Linux Magazine the opening editorial gives
something of an overview of Suns seemingly random behaviour over the
recent years, both WRT Linux and in general. I agree completely with the
editorial.

Historically Sun has produced some very cool stuff. On the high end,
they have some very cool hardware. NFS is proof that they have been the
driving force for some "open" systems. OTOH, why am I not using a
graphical user interface with Display Postscript?

Whenever a discussion about Sun comes up someone always mentions what I
think of as their "primary feature", which I also think (can be) very
important. That is compatibility. You can run exactly the same code on
your $3000 Sun workstation and the $3,000,000 SunFire you have doing...
whatever it is you do with a $3m computer. And you can do the same
across time, you have backwards compatibility to as far back as when
Sparc came out. Solaris/SunOS, perhaps even further back then that.
Slackware not only no longer uses it, but doesn't even have the crypt()
function. Still the default password hashing method on Solaris.

What has Sun done in the past few years? They have introduced ia32/64
servers, and a Linux based desktop. Hmm; that compatibility thing is
blown to hell, no?

There are other companies producing a (linux) OS with everything
installed and tested for the corporate environment, and have been doing
so for a while. Redhat and the independent SuSE. Independent Ximian too,
desktop wise, anyway. What will be _very_ interesting to see is the next
(well, first) major release of a fully integrated Novell/SuSE/Ximian.
While, say IBM, has contributed enormously to the Linux/OSS community, I
think it will be Novell who will get Linux onto corporate desktops in a
big way.

Sigh. I dont know where Im going with this. But it has been a long, no-
thinking-required, week. Call it a mental explosion.

!DSPAM:412f9a5f256624777371126!