[nSLUG] Jobs in Halifax at Keane

Andrew Crawford andrew.crawford at morganstanley.com
Thu Aug 26 14:44:24 ADT 2004

OK, first of all, let me say that I don't work in human resources, and I'm
not a recruiter. I work for Keane as a consultant.

Keane is doing quite nicely these days and growing at a good rate. There are
pretty much always jobs available for people with good skills. In particular
we're always looking for people with a few years of enterprise UNIX or Linux
experience. You can see some (but not all) of the jobs that are available
at:

http://www.keane.com/careers/job_search.php

I should say that almost all of these jobs are new positions which have come
about because we have won new work from our clients. We're hiring because
we're growing, not because it's a crappy place to work and everyone leaves
:)

The particular client I work for, Morgan Stanley, has a massive network and
a major investment in Linux - literally tens of thousands of Red Hat servers
- as well as Solaris. It's also a major Perl shop - and they have given back
to the Perl community many times.

Anyway, enough background. The specific job I have in mind is a "Performance
Data Analyst" with the following skills/experience:

* 3 years UNIX/Linux sysadmin in an enterprise environment (i.e. your Debian
box at home doesn't count :) )

* Perl and ksh scripting in an enterprise environment

* In-depth understanding of UNIX/Linux performance issues i.e. memory,
paging, IO, CPU bottlenecks etc

* Experience conducting performance analysis of servers and applications and
reporting on findings

The description of the job is as follows:

"The person must have an in-depth understanding of infrastructure
performance metrics available on Solaris, Linux and NT. The person will
analyze infrastructure and application performance metrics. Use available
tools to identify performance issues. Use available tools to visually and
statistically correlate performance data with application metrics to
identify and quantify application throughput and capacity. The person will
then present the analysis to a technically savvy audience. The person will
automate their repetitive tasks with PERL"

If this sounds like you and you're looking, please let me know ASAP. We want
to move on this in hours or days, not weeks or months.

Keane is a good place to work. It's 100% geek. The pay is good to great. The
benefits are excellent. The view out of the window is beautiful. The coffee
is crap.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Crawford - Keane Canada - (902) 442-4760
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does

!DSPAM:412e21f0214341060274317!