[nSLUG] HP 8100i CD writer: lost interrupt

Ashley George ashley at george.ca
Wed Aug 25 22:13:18 ADT 2004

Hi,

Ever since I got a new motherboard a year ago, my HP 8100i CD writer
has been unusable.  The CD writer causes the kernel to generate "lost
interrupt" messages on boot and stalls the system for several minutes
until the boot process continues.  I never got around to diagnosing the
actual problem because I found a workaround at the time.  I used a Promise
Ultra66 PCI IDE controller to control the drive.  And it worked fine, so
I never investigated further.

Recently, however, that PCI IDE controller broke down after some summertime
overheating problems, so I had to reattach the cdrom to the mainboard's
secondary IDE channel.  Not too surprisingly, the old behaviour has returned.

I get several

hdc: lost interrupt

messages before Linux gives up on the drive and continues to boot.  Any
interaction with the drive (ie, mount or hdparm) causes that command to
freeze while the "lost interrupt" messages are generated.

Looking on Google for an answer, I found a few pages where some people
had a similar problem.  They suggested that it was due to ACPI (or
alternatively, APIC) and variously recommended turning off ACPI and/or
APIC.  Most of it was voodoo advice. ie, "I tried this and it finally
worked, but I don't know why."  So I tried these recommendations, both
turning off ACPI and APIC via kernel parameters and finally recompiling
the kernel without ACPI and without APIC.  But there was no change in
response from the CD writer.

Does anyone know how I can further diagnose this?  The drive worked
perfectly with the PCI IDE controller.  I don't yet believe there is
anything wrong with the drive itself - I will soon test it in a
different computer to be absolutely certain about that.

If any of the above rings a bell for someone, please let me know.

Some system information:
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]
0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

The drive is an HP CD-Writer Plus. (8100i)

Thanks,

Ashley

!DSPAM:412d3931181911647315878!