[nSLUG] My sshd has been discovered... ;-)

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Aug 17 13:27:05 ADT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, David Potter wrote:

> I do think however, that allowing people to beat on machines without any
> risk/fear of detection shifts the risk to us and consumes phenomenal
> amounts of our time and energy - which could be put to more productive
> use.

The only cost-effective way to put a lid on such things is for service
providers to block all but a few ports by default.  Then you have to
consider what criteria they use to decide whether to enable blocked ports
for certain users.  If providers hosting badly behaving machines get
blacklisted they will have to take steps or loose customers.  OTOH you
don't want to close things down so much that everything uses port 80.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
   Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

!DSPAM:41223b97263581406871275!