[nSLUG] Greetings, I just subscribed

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Aug 12 20:50:15 ADT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> Dop Ganger wrote:
>
> > Er. Silly question... why don't you have multiple accounts for email, if
> > you have your own domain?
>
> Because my hosting service puts mail sent to any username @goingware.com
> into the same spool file.  It easier for me to read it directly from the
> hosting service while shelled into it than to download that many
> messages and use a local client.

Hmm... oh-kay... I can't help feeling you'd be better off pulling them off
to your local machine (if only because then you can back them up, and what
not) and use procmail to split them up into folders, or different
accounts, or whatever.

> > why not use procmail, or Maildir?
>
> well, that's the plan, but I've never done anything the least bit
> sophisticated with mail spooling so I'm intimidated at the prospected of
> R'ing all The FMs.

It's not that complicated, so long as you don't use sendmail!

> I had a summer job back in college where I was supposed to customize a
> sendmail configuration file.  They had this system where macintoshes
> could print by emailing postscript files to a Unix box, and I had to
> maintain it.

Oh. You tried to use sendmail. They've tried to make it easier now by
using m4 macro language to generate sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc. Oh, how
I laughed when I saw that one.

You might want to take a look at Exim instead, which at least takes the
somewhat novel step of using english as its configuration language. I've
also heard quite highly of Postfix from several people, too.

> Since then I haven't wanted to touch anything to do with mail spooling,
> but my email situation has gotten way out of hand so now I have to learn.

Mmmm. I think that what you want is fetchmail to pick up the mail, an SMTP
daemon such as Exim to deliver the mail, and procmail to sort it for you.
Most distributions should have an auto-configure script to set up
whichever SMTP daemon you choose, though.

Just try and make sure you're not pulling the mail from the remote server
using plaintext - use pop3s, or worst case, pop3 over ssh... Sending
passwords out over the net in plain text is just asking for trouble!

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:411c024125202078319972!