[nSLUG] Greetings, I just subscribed

Michael D. Crawford crawford at goingware.com
Thu Aug 12 17:30:31 ADT 2004

Hello,

My name is Mike Crawford.  I just subscribed to the list, and thought I
should introduce myself.

I moved to Truro last fall from Maine in the US.  My wife is a Canadian
citizen who is sponsoring my immigration here.  I'm a US citizen.  It
was my wife's worst nightmare that someday she would marry an American :->

I work out of my home as a software consultant, my company homepage is
http://www.goingware.com/  Lately I do embedded software, mostly
firewire storage.  I used to do mostly GUI work, having written for the
Mac OS since 1989.

I have two Debian testing systems, one a PowerPC Mac 8500 that runs
Linux full-time as an IP masquerading gateway and samba server, and the
other a Pentium III box that mostly runs Windows 2000 but also can boot
Linux and BeOS.  I used to run Slackware on it but switched to Debian
after I lost my boot drive last week.

I am user MichaelCrawford at each of http://slashdot.org/
http://advogato.org/ and http://www.kuro5hin.org/

Does the NSLUG have meetings?  I couldn't find anything about meetings
on the Wiki.  I would enjoy meeting any of you in person because I don't
know a soul around here who uses anything but Windows or who knows how
to program.

I'm also looking for tips on how to set up my Debian Mac as an IMAP
server.  What I want to do is download my mail from my hosting service
via POP, filter it for spam and viruses, and serve it with IMAP so I can
store it on the Debian box but read it from any of my machines.  I also
have a Blue & White G3 that runs Mac OS X, and an OS X iBook.

What I do now is read my email with elm while ssh'ed in to my hosting
service.  It's very primitive, but elm is the only email client I have
found so far that will handle the vast quantity of email I recieve
without falling over.  I think though that if I had an IMAP server set
up with filtering and separate mailboxes for each list I'm subscribed to
that any IMAP client would work fine.

Ever Faithful,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/