[nSLUG] Making sound universally available

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Aug 4 09:26:49 ADT 2004

Another day later and the same versions of Wine appear
in portage, but the ebuild files are refreshed.  Hmmm...
I emerged the July release of Wine again, and now Starcraft
can see the CDROM.  Maybe it was a busted ebuild.

Now if I use the Alsa sound driver for Wine, it plays just 1 second
of sound from Starcraft starting up and then it is quiet.
OSS driver does nothing, and Arts driver works if I stop and restart
Arts between use of Realplayer 10 and Wine+starcraft.
Contrary to what I said earlier, Realplayer can work with Arts
sound server - it just needs an Arts restart if Wine had used
sound beforehand.

I have a feeling this is a problem with my specific sound card
and Wine/Arts/Realplayer and possibly even the 2.6 kernel.
(mobo integrated sound : Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2
  AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1))
I've already consulted the Alsa tips for this specific
chipset and set up the .asoundrc, etc.

I happened apon an item in the Linux kernel archive mailing list:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.0/1330.html

Quote: "We (Codeweavers) build Wine on a Redhat 6.2 based machine..."

I think this was the OS and level that the Honeypot project report
estimated would last 15 minutes on the net before being root-kitted.
Anyway, it is amazing they use something so old.  The thread
illustrates that Wine has a compatibility problem
with recent kernels, so this might be part of the issue I'm seeing.

--Donald Teed

!DSPAM:4110d60e203261950114131!