[nSLUG] Re: Qry (1 of 2): Writing /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/settings?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Oct 26 13:48:18 AST 2003

me> How do I write to /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/settings?

jamie> See drivers/ide/ide-proc.c:
jamie> ...
jamie>  *   echo "name:val" >/proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings

Ah!  Got it.  Thanks.

That works, although it didn't solve the problem for  which I needed the
info.  Any advice or clever tricks welcome.  (See infra.)

dteed> Check the man page for hdparm...

dinn> try hdparm /dev/hda and see what happens...

I think I failed to mention that my hdd is a CD drive, not a HD.  I
don't see anything in hdparm(8) to manipulate the "slow" setting
although maybe it'll help me figure out a hack.

(I'm trying to retrieve data from a CD written under XP.  My wife has
moved off of an employer-owned laptop and one CD out of a couple of
dozen somehow got through the checks with some bad blocks.  Her
Win98/CD drive won't read it.  My PII/Linux/52x drive won't even keep
the drawer shut on it. My P133/Linux/50x drive reads the directory and
some files but truncates some files on a cp or dd with a I/O error.  I
was hoping that the drive would succeed in reading the data when
forced to "slow".  Didn't.  Still bumbling around trying to find a
hack to recover as much as possible.  Call it a learning
experience. :-)

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\