[nSLUG] Script to do LDAP search based on email address?

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Oct 17 16:05:47 ADT 2003

>From the command line tools included with openldap (RPMS split up the
libs, tools and servers) the most basic command could be something like:

$ ldapsearch -h ad.artistic.ca -b "o=artistic,c=ca"
"(mail=whoever at artistic.ca)"

The server may or may not require authentication (and/or authorization),
in which case you need some more options. You can limit the attributes
returned by simply listing the ones you want at the end of the above
command.

As a side note "mail" should be used to contain the email address that
the person wants used, which is not necessararly the same thing as the
email address for that person on the system. MTAs which do mail routing
from LDAP data use "mailLocalAddress" and "mailRoutingAddress" for what
I like to think of as alias and mail box, respectivly.