[nSLUG] Recommended method to install Debian on software RAID?

Steven R. Baker srbaker at pobox.com
Tue Oct 14 02:16:22 ADT 2003

        The "benchmark" tests posted on the gentoo site show start up
        times of some applications are halved compared to Mandrake 9.1

I actually tested against some of the "benchmarks" provided on the
gentoo website, and found them to be a little, uhm, optimistic.

I noticed about a 15% speed increase.

The trick is to make sure the same kernel and libc are used on both
systems.

        The other appealing thing to me is the ability to maintain the
        system with a simple to use maintenance command.

	Debian isn't bad in that area, but it has a little bit of a
        reputation for being behind in their stable stuff.  It is
        always a balance, and of course the trade off is stability and
        additional QA.

Yeah, I'll agree that Debian is a little stale.  But it's rock solid.
Hey, I'm the first to admit what a pain in the arse it is to get
up-to-date services on woody.  All of my servers run woody, and I had
to backport more than a dozen packages to get all of the features I
needed (mostly Zope stuff).

Of course, that time was well paid for.  If I had a system like Gentoo
on this server, I'd have to worry about the stability of every piece
of software.  With Debian woody, I can be reasonably certain that the
only packages I have to stress-test are the dozen or so that I built
myself.

        I have a bit of a distro disturbance going on in my head.
        I've got to wonder if my system will be available for doing
        work other than compiling the usual barrage of updates.  If
        this were for a production machine it wouldn't be practical
        for it to both run (compile) the updates and offer live
        services.  It would take a second machine to do all of the
        compiling and then provide the binary results to the target
        machine.

If you're going to go through *this* trouble, you can do it with
Debian just as easily (in fact, probably a little easier).  Just have
pbuilder running on the second building machine, and dump everything
into an apt-gettable resource.

In fact, that's what I've done here.  I set up pbuilder with a woody
image on my workstation (it's a P3-866 that is idle all night,
compared to my p2-233 server).  pbuilder builds, and dumps everything
into a repository that I apt-get from the server.  Because Debian is
already made for binary redistribution, this is actually easier.

And yes, I've been toying with the idea myself of putting Gentoo on my
workstation.  I tend to like to modify most of the software I run (in
minor ways, usually).

        I'm starting to think that gentoo will be popular with people
        who are curious about Linux and the type of people who would
        probably hot rod/mod their Hondas.  It is something you
        wouldn't mind doing to your pet machine, but I can't picture
        it catching on much in the land of company desktops and server
        rooms.

Yeah, well, people who mod their Hondas have screws loose upstairs
anyways. :P  Gentoo users don't deserve *that* kind of comparison.

        OK, that will be my plan B if gentoo fails me one more time.
        It has been making gnome for the last 5 hours, and so far it
        is stable.

Good.  I've debootstrapped several systems, feel free to ask for
assistance, but it's pretty straightforward.

If you're going to go through the trouble of booting KNOPPIX to build
a debian system, why not just insert the installation CD?

-Steven