[nSLUG] Recommended method to install Debian on software RAID?

Steven R. Baker srbaker at pobox.com
Mon Oct 13 17:47:53 ADT 2003

        I did notice a setting of 'strong' for the memory strength in
        CMOS.  This is something that might make no difference under
        normal use and short runs of intensive compiles, but does
        matter when running gcc for 9 hours straight.  I've backed it
        off to more conservative clock settings and I'm emerging gnome
        again.  I'll continue building the system and see what
        happens.  If I get one more kernel crash, gentoo is off the
        system.

I hate to start a distro war, but I'm going to repeat what I tell
*all* Gentoo users: If your machine is fast enough to compile
everything from source, then you don't need to worry about the
milliseconds to save by doing so.

        However I'm still curious if anyone has a hint about how the
        Debian install can be launched from a live CD running Linux.
        Another way to put it: suppose you had a second disk to add to
        your machine, and a CD of Debian in your CD tray.  From your
        Linux environment (not booting from the CDROM) would you be
        able to install Debian on to that second HD, so that if you
        booted from that hard drive later it would boot the installed
        Debian?

No problem.  Use debootstrap.  I think debootstrap is included on
KNOPPIX and GNOPPIX.  If the machine is already running debian,
apt-get install debootstrap.  I'm pretty sure you can emerge
debootstrap, as well.

-Steven