[nSLUG] 1 from 0 (e.g., 1 step from catastrophe) computing

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Oct 10 15:06:42 ADT 2003

These days I feel like I'm in one of those Indiana Jone movies where the
hero is running as fast as he can to stay one step ahead of total disaster
-- you know the drill: system A is about to die so you rush to get things
working on system B while you wait for system C to be repaired because
system B is scheduled to spend the next 6 months at sea and the CD-writer
just died but the replacement was shipped last week and now appears to
have been delivered to some 1 pump town called Halifax in the US mid-west.
Then a hurricane comes by leaving a trail of dead electronics, failed
UPS's, and systems that won't boot because someone forgot to finalize
some configuration they were running in test mode.

This means I end up with parts of projects scattered across several
backups and disks.  I've been using rsync, but is it all too easy to
accidentally overwrite a newer file with an old version.  Now I have found
unison <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/>, which has both
command-line and graphical interfaces and makes it much easier to
reconcile multiple versions of a project.  Unison is written on ocaml and
use Tk/Tcl for the GUI.  There are linux binaries that worked on Mdk 9.0,
and porting to SGI Irix went smoothly.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6