[nSLUG] .ca registrars

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Fri Jun 13 12:59:50 ADT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Peter Cordes wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 05:44:36PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> > Donald also mentioned DNSsec
>
>  Oops, that was the ever cryptic Mike.  I was in a hurry to get the mail
> sent before going out to play Ultimate (frisbee, www.hurl.ca :).
>
>  Donald had the insight that some places that do web hosting get confused if
> you're not hosting with them, which sounds like good advice, and helps
> narrow down the choices.

It is difficult to quantify/qualify that advice.  Just about every
place I've seen that does registration also offers web hosting
or a link to someone that does webhosting.  It is like selling
cars and rust proofing - someone is going to make sure you are
offered the automatic path to getting the add-on service.
Just make sure the defaults are not carved in stone.

You should seek some place that can answer phones, and
knows that their primary business is registering domains.
For me the biggest thing I want from them is to be
able to reset the main DNS pointer reliably, and allow
renewal of the registration without pains.  It would be
nice if they don't go out of business too!