[nSLUG] .ca registrars

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Jun 12 17:44:36 ADT 2003

 Thanks for the flood of informative replies, everyone!  I have a couple
more questions...

 BTW, the domain I want to register will just be for personal use, but I
will probably use it for email, so service is somewhat important.  If
eastlink changes my IP address, I need to get the NS record updated to point
to my new IP.  (I want to run the DNS primary server on llama, my home
computer which is currently my email server.  If it breaks, it might as well
all break.  I'll probably someone up on one of the generous offers of a
secondary DNS servers made by various people, though. :)

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:45:34PM -0300, Jamie Fifield wrote:
> A few of us use domain.ca/coolcom.com and run our own domain servers.
> Their basic service is just an entry in with CIRA, we do everything
> else.  I think it's $30CDN/year.
>
> As far as IPv6, I don't see why that would be a problem if you're
> doing your own dns.

 For DNS _over_ v6, not just DNS to resolve names to v6 addresses, you need
some cooperation from the registrar, right?  You have to tell them the name
of your name servers, and their v6 addresses, right?  (I'm not really
familiar with v6 DNS...)  Donald also mentioned DNSsec, which also requires
DNS server support.

 Another thing I'd like to know is whether the registrars run the root and
.ca servers that would need to support v6, or whether CIRA itself runs the
.ca servers.  If CIRA runs it, then all a registrar would need to do to
support v6 would be pass on v6 nameserver records to CIRA, and nobody could
do DNS over v6 for .ca until CIRA got around to it.  (Do the .ca and root
servers support DNS over v6?)

 I'd like my registration money to go towards helping the revolution, by
supporting a registrar that's trying to encourage adoption of stuff like v6
and DNSsec, and any other good things to do with DNS that I haven't thought
of...

> The thing with IPv6 is getting a routed IPv6 address.  Do any
> residential ISPs have that yet?  (cause it'd be damn cool if they
> did).  I suppose you could always tunnel it to one of those ipv6
> gateways...

 There are a couple Debian packages that claim to do everything needed to
set up a tunnel and get an address, etc.