[nSLUG] aliant

Rory rory at vudu.nb.ca
Sun Jun 8 13:09:09 ADT 2003

DSL may seem like a bit of a hack from some perspectives, but it's a fairly
well engineered solution for getting bandwidth to residences without
re-cabling the world.   There's really nothing wrong with pushing 2 - 6 GB
of traffic through a copper pair, but it is more sensitive to error,
misconfiguration and other human error than the basic phone service.   This
is where problems arise for customers who are close to the distance limit.

As for the problems people have had with PPPoE on Linux, it was mostly with
RH 7.2.   The PPPoE config and tools were broken.  This has been fixed with
7.3 and newer RH's.   I've never had the chance to use Debian on PPPoE so
I'll let others relay any experiences.