[nSLUG] Up2date

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Thu Jun 5 15:39:16 ADT 2003

Redhat's target market is the corporate world more than
home users.  Those are the ones who are interested
in higher volume of security updates and are willing to
pay for the service and support.  In fact if it couldn't be
offered they would not go for the OS.  That is why you won't see
Debian being rolled out in many commercial ventures.

Another thing people misunderstand about Redhat is that their
server OS ("Enterprise") is a completely different animal from the
version you can download.  The Downloadable Redhat is
full of bleeding edge applications and releases.  Some of
them will break with available packages from elseswhere.
If you ran Netscape .99 in 1994 you get the idea.  It is
exciting and new, and whoops, it went away, gotta restart it.

The Enterprise version is more conservative and stable and
this is what companies run in their server room.  You can
get a similar effect by running something like 7.3 (in
June 2003) with all of the available updates and patches.

This is discussed on this page:

http://www.redhat.com/software/whichlinux.html

--Donald Teed