[nSLUG] Up2date

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Jun 5 13:00:22 ADT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:44:27PM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> Debian's dselect system is pretty good.  It handles the update
> to config files process better than Redhat.  However I wish it
> could provide some information on what the updated packages include
> (are they just newer, or is it a security fix, and if so what?).
> I'd like to see a GUI version of dselect.  I know real men don't
> point and click, but when there are 3000 packages, we need a
> more categorized list (e.g. there is no category for databases)
> and a way to get from A to B besides string searches.

A GUI version of dselect is not the answer.  The front-end is just
window-dressing.  It's additional functionality in the back-ends that needs
work.

Two such efforts are these:

1. Look at apt-listchanges.  After downloading the packages, the changelog
   entries are extracted and displayed (and/or emailed to you).

2. Also, have a look at the package tags system that is currently under
   development which addresses the categorization problem.

You may find this site of interest:

http://deb-usability.alioth.debian.org/

There is a link there to the package tags page.  Or you can go directly to
the Debian package browser here:

http://debian.vitavonni.de/packagebrowser/

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca