[nSLUG] mounting CDROM

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 4 17:10:05 ADT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 04:34:50PM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:

> I did have one previous experience where a CDROM wasn't going
> to be recognized by Redhat - I think it was RH 4.3 on an
> old 486 or first generation Pentium.  The controller was
> an add-in ISA card which was also the sound card.
>
> This was not an IDE controller and CDROM player but some
> earlier proprietary interface that depended on the CDROM make.
> ATAPI came later.  If you are certain the device is IDE
> then I guess this isn't a factor.

 The dmesg output said it was ATAPI, and it showed up as hda.  There's
obviously some communication with the CDROM, because the kernel got it to
identify itself (model number).  All that implies it really is ATAPI (IDE).

> Someone suggested redhat 9 CDs.  How about versions 4 or 5 for
> an older machine like this?  The kernels supplied are only
> for Pentium and better with versions 8 and up.

 Hmm, I wonder about that.  Anyone know what actually happens when you try
to run a kernel compile for >= Pentium on a 486?

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at llama.nslug.n , s.ca)