[nSLUG] chmod +s , cupsd restart

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Sun Jun 22 01:39:28 ADT 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  Are you sure?  AFAICT, it shouldn't have worked.

Yes, you are correct.  I noticed that the next day when I
did another test and I had misread the log file - it was
actually showing a test I did of the killall command from the
shell prompt as root.

Thanks for the excellent analysis on why the short C
program was flawed.  It bug me a bit that it was unresolved
as to why the simple one line program silently failed to do
anything.  It is too bad that C compiler doesn't warn that
the args were missing to execl.

Anyway, I've adopted the sudo solution and that is the
way I'll go, but it is worthwhile to know more about
how the setuid solution could be coded, for other
scenarios.

There must be a place for setuid root solutions, or else I
wouldn't be seeing applications such as ping and umount
with setuid bit turned on.