[nSLUG] Up2date

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Thu Jun 5 13:21:02 ADT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Jamie Fifield wrote:

> So, in order to get security updates?  I have to have an RHN account?
> Not only that, but update it every 60 days?
>
> a) I don't have access to the email address the account is registered
> in.

Like I said, if there was an easy way around that, I could change your
account with a few clicks on the Redhat site.  Think about it, don't
just knee-jerk because it is cool to flame on Redhat.

> b) I don't really want to deal with this every 60 days.

Hey, I hate clicking on the "Upgrade Later" button for "free" Quicktime
player.  It's the way they try to trigger a sale.  I probably click
on the Apple button 20 times for every time I need to fill in
the stupid form at Redhat with fake data.

> Is there any groups that have a free archive I can point up2date at?

Nothing I know of.  It isn't just an FTP archive, but a server, and it
is probably proprietary.  I'm sure someone could reverse engineer
it if they tried but I know of nothing..  Your other alternative
is to download the list of rpms from their errata page and use
rpm to install the updates.

> The fact that I even have this problem is frankly mind blowing.

It isn't if you thought about it.  If you can change an account
without access to the email account, anyone could click
on the lost password link and update anyone else's account
to their email address, hijacking or fudging up anyone's
RHN account.  Many of those accounts are paid for, so it
is a serious issue they need to protect.

Your solution, is to make a new account.

> Redhat is hard enough to use as it is, without this kind of crap. ;)

Hard?  What is easy?  Anything I know of that is too easy comes with
a trade-off of loss of control/knowledge.