[nSLUG] tar of fat32 windows xp partition?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jul 30 10:30:55 ADT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Donald Teed wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Dop Ganger wrote:
>
> The performance of writing the whole 20GB disk from Linux matches that
> of the DOS tool writing only the 3GB of files of the file system
> (about 30 minutes).  This is why I'm interested in doing it the
> way the DOS tool does, because I'm pretty sure Linux could beat the
> pants off this if it could only write the files.  I did a test with
> a resized FAT32 partition and the Linux based Ghost solution wrote 8GB
> to /dev/hda1 in only 12 minutes.  But I don't think they will
> go for a solution that leaves the drive with a C: and D: .

Hmmm... I'm surprised. I know that more technically adept users would
prefer a D: drive so they can install another OS of their own choosing,
and in any case splitting the drive into two partitions will generally
mean less slack space, leading to more actual usable space. Plus the
advantage there is you can use dd to create the initial image (say, 12 gig
or so) and then script sfdisk and mkdosfs to create the secondary
partition significantly quicker than dd can write the zeroed disk...

> The working solution I have now is cheaper, but only just as fast.
> If I can get it to run in 1/4 of the time, we'll have a killer Linux app.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to create an 8 gig partition
(or however small you can get the image), then after the dd is done script
parted to resize the partition so it's bigger. I'm just not sure how
windows would react to the extra (unformatted?) space, though... The
parted page explicitly says resizing FAT16 is a no-no, but hints (but does
not come out and say it) that FAT32 is doable. Suck it and see?

Cheers... Dop.