[nSLUG] tar of fat32 windows xp partition?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Jul 29 21:08:01 ADT 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Donald Teed wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Dop Ganger wrote:
>
> > The only real gotcha I can think of is it's not an imager;
>
> Yes, that would be a problem in my case.
>
> If the first 512 bytes of a partition contain the boot information,
> I'd think I could grab that and stuff it into a file that is included
> in the tar.  Then on restore, after it is extracted, dd it
> back to /dev/hda1

I'm not sure if that would work, either. If I recall correctly (and it's
been a loooong time, so I may well not be) the boot sector for DOS points
at the sector that contains the start of MSDOS.SYS (or was it IO.SYS?). I
daresay XP has an equivalent for this, but I'm glad to say I've never had
reason to examine the XP boot process too closely. Twiddling around with
the files will change the location of the file(s), so you'll need
something to "correct" the boot sector. In the old days, it'd be a matter
of booting off a DOS boot disk and doing sys c:, but quite what the
equivalent these days would be, I'm really not sure...

Cheers... Dop.