[nSLUG] Strange crash

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jul 25 17:30:25 ADT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Dop Ganger wrote:

> Well, in my experience, in the past 2 years on the machines I've worked on
> I've had one bad DIMM, one bad motherboard (buggered PCI chip), 8 bad IDE
> drives, and one bad SCSI drive. 7 of the 8 drives were Maxtor, and the
> other one was a Fujitsu (one with the known problem with the capacitors).
> The SCSI drive was Seagate, one bad drive out of 50 or so in a cluster (a
> very reasonable score on the bell curve).
>
> Needless to say, I now recommend to anyone I ask to stay far, far away
> from Maxtor drives...

Overall your experience seems about average, but it is a mistake to think
that current Maxtor drives are more failure prone than other models.
Drive designs are changing almost daily, and vendors are working hard to
keep costs down, so it isn't surprising that a particlar model may prove
unreliable due to design mistake or a poor component choice.  At work we
have seen failures in IBM and Fujitsu drives that fall in this category.
IBM (after a long drawn out battle) finally replaced the drive with a
newer model, while Fujitsu provided a same model replacement.  My
experience with IBM would have made me reluctant to buy another IBM drive,
but that doesn't matter since they sold that line to Hitachi.

The factor that should be considered in buying drives is the effectiveness
of the vendor's replacement policy.  Do they have a good web site with
drive info and diagnostic tools (needed to get the information for a
warranty claim)?  Can you return the drive to the dealer where you bought
it or do you have to ship it to the USA?  Do they promise to deliver a
replacement for a failed drive within a certain period or will they make
you wait 6 months?

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>