[nSLUG] Strange crash

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jul 16 11:28:47 ADT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca wrote:

> The other day a linux-based server I babysit sort-of crashed.  I say
> sort-of because the box became mostly unresponsive but didn't actually
> generate any error messages.

That's usually (in my experience) a lockup on the IDE interface, quite
often caused by overheating. The only way to grab this sort of thing is to
have a serial console capturing output, usually the machine isn't (quite)
hung enough that it can't do serial output.

> So...  Any ideas?  I would like to have a sense of what happened and how
> to prevent it in the future.

If you use mrtg, I'd recommend getting hddtemp and monitoring the drive
temperature. Hangs quite often correlate with excessive temperature; HDL
turn off HVAC in our office at weekends, and I've got a desktop server
with a few drives that has overheated once or twice as a result;
monitoring with hddtemp showed the drive temp spiking up to around 42C
before the machine hung. IDE drives seem to max out at around 38C before
they start flaking out, in my experience.

On a side note, I noticed your ad in the Herald for 128K access, but I
couldn't see any mention of it on your website... Just curious, is this
ISDN, or is it something else?

Cheers... Dop.