[nSLUG] Knoppix or Super Rescue disk?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jul 10 17:40:33 ADT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Donald Teed wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Dop Ganger wrote:
> > I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but systemimager
> > (http://www.systemimager.org) has worked really well for me for imaging,
> > in a ghost-esque fashion.
>
> Yes, this is a finely tuned type of product I was looking for.
> The only drawback is that they seem to be set to work with Linux
> systems only and wouldn't handle a dual booting disk image with Win XP.

Ahhh... Yes, it's aimed at *nix style systems - it images by using rsync,
which I don't think will will work with systemimager. You may be able to
get it part of the way but I suspect XP depends on stuff being at a
certain sector. I've heard of people having some success with XP with
ISOLinux (http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php - in fact, at the bottom of
the page there's a link to an email thread that appears to give details on
how to install XP with ISOLinux). This isn't a guaranteed method as it's
slightly BIOS dependent, but it might be worth a try. The only alternative
I can think of would be payware software such as ghost or partition image.

> That is a very useful list of projects to check into.  Thanks very much.
> As usual, you are exceedingly resourceful.

Glad to help :-)

Cheers... Dop.