[nSLUG] debian libc upgrade

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jul 9 18:06:19 ADT 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Bill Davidson wrote:

> I need to run a binary program (i.e., I can't recompile) which was built on a
> RedHat system, but I need to run it on a Debian (woody) system.  The program
> was linked against glibc-2.3, while woody uses glibc-2.2.5.  Needless to say,
> the program won't run.

I've just gone through glibc hell myself (see emails passim). One thing
you might want to try is LD_PRELOAD. Put glibc-2.3 in (say) /oldlib, add
to /etc/ld.so.conf, ldconfig, export LD_PRELOAD=/oldlib/libc-2.3.x.so and
try running your binary app. If you need more libs than just libc, add
them to LD_PRELOAD string colon separated.

This is not 100% guaranteed - in particular, if your app shells out and
tries to run other apps on the system they may die. It's pretty safe
otherwise.

Cheers... Dop.