[nSLUG] debian libc upgrade

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Wed Jul 9 15:22:42 ADT 2003

Hi:

I need to run a binary program (i.e., I can't recompile) which was built on a
RedHat system, but I need to run it on a Debian (woody) system.  The program
was linked against glibc-2.3, while woody uses glibc-2.2.5.  Needless to say,
the program won't run.

If I get the minimum neccessary .deb files (I'm thinking libc6_2.3.1,
libdb1-compat_2.1.3, libdb3_3.2.9, libnss-db_2.2) from, say, the sid
distribution, and install them using dpkg, well... what's likely to break?

I have tried this with a "spare" system and so far everything seems OK, but
the system I need it on is a production system running a lot of services.  I
guess I'm just wondering whether there are any "gotchas" I should watch for,
or any other libs/apps I should upgrade too.

PS:  how come the current gnu libc is 2.3.2, but the "unstable" from debian
is only 2.3.1?

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca