[nSLUG] The joy (or lack thereof) of RedHat

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jul 3 19:29:36 ADT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Donald Teed wrote:

> Another trend at Redhat is to decrease the service life of
> the community linux to 1 year.  This means all 7.* and 8.0
> linuxes end their service life as of December this year...

[snip]

> However in the corporate setting, I would suggest getting Enterprise
> level server, which is more conservative and better tested (and
> supported).  It also has a more traditional service life.

This is for an academic environment. I'm sure you're familiar with the
(lack of) budget in such an environment... ;->

> Another option, if the user is not willing to pay for an OS,
> is to go for RH 8, where you believe the package should work.

The customer doesn't want to go with RH8 because... it's EOL at the end of
the year.

The other somewhat irritating thing is the hardware I'm using is listed as
supporting "standard Linux distributions"
(http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/ - the V60x and V65x). This apparently
means RedHat 7.2 and RHAS2.1. 7.2 is a non-starter because of the EOL
issue, and RHAS2.1 is out due to the US$1599/node issue - more expensive
than each node! I know that the educational pricing would be significantly
less, but it's still something that won't fly. This means no thermal
monitoring and no lights-out management until the drivers are available,
as the supplied drivers are binary-only. Sun have promised me a couple of
V65's to play with, so in my copious free time I may well try to hack
together my own drivers.

> Backing off and reinstalling a newly installed OS
> can be less effort than fighting with compiling dependancies.

I think I may be installing an RH8 box tomorrow just to get the glibc
compiled as an RPM...

Cheers... Dop.